The CIM Users Group (CIMug) was formed in 2005, as a subgroup of the UCA International Users Group, to provide a forum in which users, consultants, and suppliers could cooperate and leverage the IEC CIM international standards to advance interoperability across the utility enterprise. The primary purpose is to share technology basics, best practices and technical resources while Advancing Interoperability for the Utility Enterprise.
What is the CIM and why is it needed?
The Common Information Model (CIM) is an abstract information model that provides data understanding through the identification of the relationships and associations of the data within a utility enterprise. This enhanced data understanding supports the exchange of data models and messages and increases the ability to integrate applications both within the enterprise and with trading partners. These trends go beyond exchange or updates of network models to the exchange of specific dynamic data within transactional messages in a real-time environment.
The CIM companion standards provide extensions and specifications that, when used in conjunction with the CIM models, provide a framework for the exchange of static models, transactional messages and full enterprise integration.
Focus on Standards
The CIM Users Group is focused on helping its members obtain the benefits of adapting IEC TC57 modeling standards for all utility operations on a global basis including:
- IEC 61970 – For power system modeling and energy utility data exchange including EMS, topology, wires, SCADA, etc.
- IEC 61968 – For power system modeling related to DMS, assets, work, GIS, metering and application messaging.
- IEC 62325 – Modeling for energy markets with support for both North American and European markets (others under consideration).
- Companion Standards – The CIM standards include a variety of extensions supporting many use cases including
- System planning
- Dynamic simulation
- Smart grid messaging to premises systems
- Interoperability and conformance testing requirements and procedures
The CIM Users Group is dedicated to managing and communicating issues concerning the TC57 IEC 61970 and 61968 standards and to serving as the primary means for developing consensus and consistency across the industry.
CIM User Group Goals
- Provide liaison with other standards groups and assess the impact of other standards on the form, scope and content of the CIM
- Provide a central Repository for CIM issues, models, messages and expertise
- Provide a central Repository for CIM-based message payload designs and schemas
- Promote the CIM and CIM related standards
- Provide a single point of contact for CIM Model Management and issue resolution.
- Provide awareness of CIM products and implementations
- Provide a Help Desk for members to obtain timely and accurate answers
For more information about the CIM Users Group please contact us at email@example.com.